Saturday, June 22, 2013

A closing and a Begining

This past week Munchkin completed Kindergarten.  I have had the privilege of volunteering in his classroom many times this year.  Over the past 9 months I have seen him and his classmate grow-both in size and in knowledge.

As I was walking him to school on the last day, I had the thought that this has been a transitional year for him.  He is transitioning from a small child into a kid.  The child who held my hand on the first day of school now knows the routine.  Where to go what to do and how to get along.  The child who didn't want to sit still, now sits patiently in his seat and does his work without being asked.

He is excited for the next school year and the next phase.  Instead of trepidation-he looks forward with joyful anticipation.

As I reflected on this, I realize that I too am in a transitional period.  Gone are the days of silently sobbing for hours on end as I try to get work done in the office.   Mostly gone are the flashback and nightmares in the middle of the night.  Thankfully those have become few and far between. 

Instead, we have a routine.  I get up, I get us ready, we go on and we do.  We move forward through life and keep on going.  We have learned the routine and we have mastered it.  Soon, hopefully life will bring us a new chapter and we will learn that one as well.  

Our current chapter involves mastering yard work without breaking out in hives....AKA ask my brother very nicely to do it for me :)

I guess the big transition for me is looking forward to new things-being excited for things to come.  Perhaps Munchkin and I really are not that much different!

No comments:

Post a Comment