Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Did your Daddy vote?

Partisanship aside...I have always understood the importance of voting. So the fact that it was a school day/work day and TaeKwonDo day did not deter me from taking munchkin to vote with me after class. As we drove I explained that all grownups in the USA have the privilege to vote.

They had done a mock vote in class today so he was excited. He was well behaved in line and respectful to the judges and he even managed a piece of chocolate from one that we knew.

As I turned in my ballot, my heart was aching that the first time munchkin will remember going to vote was just the two of us. I put my ballot in the machine and the well meaning sweet lady asked munchkin if he got to go vote with Daddy too.

Too much....the tears flowed, the silent tears I had been holding back just flowed. Munchkin didn't miss a beat..."Daddy lives in heaven" is what he said to the lady. She looked like someone slapped her. Munchkin asked for a sticker and I made a quick escape into the cold drizzle holding tight to munchkin's hand.

We went home had dinner and snuggled to watch the states report their numbers. We talked about what the president does, where he lives and what the house and senate mean. In all I thought it was a great lesson in the privilege of being American citizens even if it did unearth my wounds. Mostly I am glad that munchkin had fun and liked learning about voting.
I only wish that my scars were not so visible to the rest of the world.

5 comments:

  1. Crying in public, at random interactions, is a lot like hiccups. Can't stop it, feel betrayed by your body, and ya just have to wait it out. I once got caught up in crying at the grocery store so hard someone offered to call an ambulance for me. Which made me start laughing. Cause, really? An ambulance for a crying woman?? I think they were relieved when I finally left. After that incident I considered it my duty to show the world that life happens, and sometimes, so do tears. Big hugs to you. Never fun to have the unexpected public cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of firsts that happen after a loss. Kiki is right, not always fun to have the unexpected public cry. I can remember when I had to mark the status box "widowed" after my husband died at a doctor's appointment. Wish I could have ran out of there after I saw the glances of people in the room listening to me.
    I am happy you were able to take your son and share the experience of voting together.
    It's funny how kids don't miss a beat!
    Samantha
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What strikes me is the answer Munchkin gave and the woman's reaction. The world is filled with people who believe everything is as they perceive it, rather than as it is. I daresay your wounds are not as public as you perceive them. Were they, the woman would not have asked.

    Do not be ashamed to cry anywhere. Venting the negative emotions leaves room for more positive ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since being widowed I have become very, very careful of my "innocent" questions and comments - they can end up causing so much pain when we don't really mean for that to happen. Tears are a gift - they help us through - the "public" will just have to deal with it......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Munchkin has a great lady for a mom, one who's wounds are courageous and true. Thank you for voting, and thank you for teaching your child about it.

    ReplyDelete