2013 was an interesting year for us...it started out with Munchkin very sick and spending a week in the hospital in January. Frozen pipes, broken snowblower, massive flooding, water in the basement and a myriad of other things. It continued with major challenges at my job relative to family balance. I was working way too much and traveling far more than I needed to be with a small child. I prayed for guidance and direction. I prayed daily--sometimes hourly.
I was at a NYE party last night and reflecting on this year. There are a lot of people that had bad years.
Here is the thing, when I compare my current bad times, I have not found anything that can hold a candle to the trials that I endured in 2008. There is not much on par with watching your husband die in front of you.
Time has given me the gift of perspective. In years past, I probably would have been focused on all of the bad things that happened, I would have been bidding farewell to an expensive and exhausting year.
This time, I am focused on all of our blessings.
1. I now work from home for a company that appreciates my work
2. Munchkin is much healthier and is growing a ton!
3. I have a house...something that I thought would be impossible after Robert died
4. My family is relatively healthy and I got to spend a ton of time with them this year
5. We got to take a week long vacation...just Nate and I...it was amazing!
Several years ago, I could not fathom being able to say many of these things. I am grateful. I am very very blessed.
Life is not perfect by any means, but it is good and we are happy. I still have days where I miss Robert dearly, but we have found hope and peace in our life. I have found a way to move forward and for the first time I see myself as so much more than a widow.